Where am I and where do I want to be.


I continue to work at becoming an exemplary Art Educator. 

My goal is to develop additional talents, resources and instruments which will assist me in reaching my students and communicate in them an individual desire to understand and excel in the Art curriculum. 

We talk about the accommodations we can use to reach our struggling students understand the concepts of Art, methods I and past educators have created and continually improving on. An accommodation that I feel will add to our Art curriculum is literature. We understand that instilling a sense of desire / joy in reading will assist us as well as our students to reach our goals.  

Even though Art Instruction is presently not confined by the Core Curriculum Competencies like several of the other basis studies, The being discussed / proposed Wisconsin State Core Curriculum Competencies pertaining to Art Instruction for the fourth grade include several areas where reading writing and literacy will support learning.

The completion of the Fourth grade is a decisive moment in evaluating a student’s progress in their educational development. I included several but in no way an exhaustive list of those Core Curriculum Competencies that I believe call for in inclusion of literature in the Art curriculum.  

G.4.3 Talk and write about the meanings of artworks and design. 

I.4.3 Talk or write about feelings in a work of art.

K.4.4 Use a variety of tools, such as words, numbers, sounds, movements, images, objects, emotions, technology, and spaces, to help understand and communicate about the visual world.

I am not aware of any historical, ancestral literature or text, teachers have “always” utilized to reach their students and assist those students as they strive as meet the above competencies. My hope is not to suggest that there become required texts needed to be read to by all students demonstrating Art Competencies. My hope is to discover and evaluate texts that will make my as well as my fellow teachers lessons be a success.         

Some resources I plan to utilize in investigating my goal of using Art to assist me in teaching my students to excel in Art.



   
   

Flesch-Kincaid Reading Analyzer

Make Take and Teach / blog page

Chibitronics / Teaching Science by the use of Art

Erin Moody-Zoets’ Masters Theses 
Integrating Art Education and Literacy Education Curriculum for Secondary Level

Reading through the arts

Visual Art

United Nations Arts Initiative Art Integration Into Education

Americans for the Arts

Comments

  1. Todd,
    Thanks for all the resources! I especially liked the article on 'Vark.' It's also so nice to hear that one of your accommodations for a struggling art teacher is literature. As you said, "we understand that instilling a sense of desire / joy in reading will assist us as well as our students to reach our goals," I couldn't agree more. Looking forward to reading more on your blog.

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great and your resources will be helpful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you have chosen to look into this topic; as a future music teacher I also struggle with how to emphasize both music and literacy in the classroom. I think what you said about fostering a love of reading is very important for students of all ages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow thanks for all the resources they are great and helpfully. I have notice that you are not the only one that is and or going into teaching art I think that it is neat. I like reading your blogs and the pictures that you added into this one, I cant wait to read more about your future in teaching art and more about your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Todd, your approach of doing this research brings to light the disconnection between art and literature. Why is this? Most tend to think art as just something visual and no text. But in reality, literature is some kind of art form. I think it all falls on how we frame and define such ideas. You also have great resources, seems like a great start for you. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Todd,

    I am starting to see the importance of reading in an art classroom. I think that it is great to use literature specifically because authors are usually creative. I will definitely strive to use art in my ELA classroom. Just because we are using the same subjects doesn't mean we are teaching the same CALs. I think that it's important to strengthen the students' reading skills and the more creative you can be with how you introduce reading literature to the students, the better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my Professional Blog

TEXT SETS